Stock photography – seasonal stock images
Some stock subjects will sell all year round. Others will have a window each year when they sell like crazy and then will be mostly silent till the next season comes.
Let’s take a look at these seasonal stock photo subjects:
- holidays, of any kind, Christmas, Easter, Valentine’s Day
- specific sports, ski will sell better when it’s close to winter
- specific landscapes, snow, sunny beaches
- flowers, they sell all year round but you will notice and increase come spring
How to be prepared:
- shoot your images well in advance; e.g. shoot this summer for the next warm season
- upload your images at least three month before, some designers will leave it to last minute but most won’t and they will need these images well in advance
- study the market, see what sells; don’t copy others but give your own interpretation to what is popular
- even if it’s cheesy it might sell, don’t discard good shots even if they don’t agree with your photographic instinct
- refresh your seasonal content each year
Valentine’s day is just around the corner, you should have your images online by now to reap the benefits.